For Immediate Release: Feb. 19, 2021
Contact: Nora Shoptaw (336) 370-8386
Media Desk (336) 574-5730
Reminders for Parents as GCS Students Prepare to Return
First cohort of sixth and ninth grade students will return Monday, Feb. 22
Greensboro, N.C. – As middle and high school students prepare to return<www.gcsnc.com/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=174&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-3F8874B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=140844&PageID=1> to GCS schools starting next week, here are some helpful reminders for parents.
* Families must complete the Safety iPass health screening before entering the school building. Temperatures will be taken at school during the entry process. Click here for more information<www.gcsnc.com/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=174&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-3F8874B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=141537&PageID=1>.
* Students are expected to wear a face covering<www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html?ACSTrackingID=USCDC_2067-DM49715&ACSTrackingLabel=Your%20Guide%20to%20Masks%20%7C%20COVID-19&deliveryName=USCDC_2067…> at all times while on campus, except while eating. Face coverings should be clean and at least two layers.
* Meals will be eaten in classrooms, not in the cafeteria.
* Breakfast and lunch are free for all students through the end of the school year.
* Parents are encouraged to drive their students to campus if possible. If bus transportation is required, please fill out this form<app.perfectforms.com/PresentationServer/Form.aspx/Play/_2IGggMo?f=_2IGggMo>.
* Parents may use Here Comes the Bus<www.gcsnc.com/Page/63267> to track their student’s bus location.
Middle and high schools will use a cohort model, with half of the students attending in-person on Monday and Tuesday, and the other half attending in-person on Thursday and Friday. The remaining days will be remote learning days. Schools will communicate directly with families about cohort assignments, as well as any other schedule or procedure changes pertaining to that school.
Sixth graders and ninth graders will return Monday, Feb. 22, or Thursday, Feb. 25, depending on the cohort. Then, seventh, 10th and 12th graders will return the week of March 1. Eighth graders and 11th graders will return the week of March 8.
About Guilford County Schools
Guilford County Schools, the third largest school district in North Carolina and one of the 50 largest of more than 14,000 in the United States, serves 70,000 PK-12 students at 126 schools. With approximately 10,000 employees, GCS works in partnership with parents, businesses, colleges and the community to deliver an education that connects student interests and skills with the careers and economy of our future here and around the world. We provide educational choices to meet individual student needs in a culturally diverse citizenship and new opportunities to help our students Soar to Greatness. For more information, visit the district’s website at www.gcsnc.com<nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gcsnc.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Csilverj%40gcsnc.com%7C79407275dd6940ec549d08d7e890bf0b%7C9ae2fb1fdea24c4381947624fcbbb30c%7C0%7C0%7C63723358…>.
This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, retransmission, copying, or taking action in reliance on this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the information immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this e-mail address may be subject to NC Public Records Law which result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement. In compliance with federal laws, Guilford County Schools administers all educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law. Refer to the Board of Education’s Discrimination Free Environment Policy AC for a complete statement. Inquiries or complaints should be directed to the Guilford County Schools Compliance Officer, 120 Franklin Boulevard, Greensboro, NC 27401; 336-370-8154